Hi everyone, my name is Jackie and I am so excited to be sharing my first food post for ChiChi! Like most foodies, I spent most of my childhood in the kitchen, sandwiched right between my mom and my big sister. To me food has always been more than just something we eat, because it is the centre of so many great memories I have had with friends and family growing up.
Because of my love for food, I recently have launched my own food blog, The Jackfruit Vegan, and I have my own YouTube channel where I make videos showing viewers how to make mouthwatering dishes that are also good for you! Life’s too short to eat bland and boring dishes, so why not try something new and exciting! With these monthly blog posts, I hope that some of my dishes can be incorporated into your life, so you too can create memories with your loved ones.
I thought I would start off by showing you how to make one of my favorites morning meals. Avocado toast has become such a phenomenon in the online food scene, and I can’t complain. Avocado’s are filled with healthy fats that can keep you full and energized throughout the entire morning. What makes my avocado toast so delicious is the addition of basil, which brightens up the entire dish. With the avocado smeared on top of a slice of warm and crunchy toast, I am sure you will enjoy this too. The recipe is great if you need something fast to make in the morning, so let’s not waste time and get right into the recipe!
*This recipe makes 1 serving (2 slices of toast)
- 1 medium sized avocado
- 1/2 tsp of a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 chopped basil leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 slices of good hearty bread
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 slices of tomato
- Additional oil to drizzle on top (optional)
- In a small bowl combine avocado, lemon juice, salt, pepper, chili flakes, basil, and olive oil. With a fork, begin to mash up the mixture. I like to make it a smooth consistency, but you can leave your avocado chunky if you like! If you don’t like heat you can skip the chili flakes.
- Set aside your mixture and toast your bread. I like my bread to turn a golden brown so it’s nice and crunchy. Once your toast is done, take a clove a garlic and rub it on the hot toast.
- Take your avocado spread and smear it on to the toast. I give each slice half of the mixture. Top each slice of toast with 2 tomatoes, and feel free to drizzle additional oil and sprinkle on top some more salt and pepper to season the tomatoes.
As much as people think cooking is all about following a recipe, I encourage you all to experiment in the kitchen. Whoever said it was wrong to play with your food was insane! I would love to know what you end up putting on your avocado toast, and if you give this recipe a try tweet me a pic!